December 05, 2014 by Carsen
So, we’ve posted a few recent blogs on this topic, and here is our Holiday Information Security Quicklist. Feel free to share with your contacts to ensure they are aware of security best practices this holiday season.
- Secure all mobile devices- shopping via your mobile device is easier than ever. Make sure your devices are password protected, encrypted and can be wiped in the case of them being lost or stolen.
- Change all passwords now, then after the holidays. Changing your passwords and security questions for accounts that you frequent and for any accounts where financial information is entered is a must.
- Beware of “Gifts” from unknown senders. While many will give and receive electronic gift cards this season, make sure you are familiar with the sender. Verify with the sender that he or she did send you the gift, then manually enter the store website into your browser, call them and verify your gift card. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Also, if gift cards ask for your personal information in order to receive them this is a sign it could be a scam.
- Donate Securely- While we encourage the giving season when many decide to donate to charities, make sure to give through trusted websites at trusted organizations. There have been many reports of scammers posing as organizations to “Help Fight Ebola” and others.Do not give by clicking a solicited link from an email message, rather give locally at a physical location or online through a trusted source you are familiar with.
- Beware of awards, coupons, advertisements and other offers you see online or that are delivered to you over the phone or through email. Many times these offers are posing as those companies and are in reality phishing scams trying to get your information.
- Continually check your financial accounts to verify all purchases and set up frequent alerts and reminders to stay on top of any potential fraudulent charges. Immediately alert your financial institution of any unauthorized charges.
- Maintain Physical Security- Keep all credit cards, cash and mobile devices you carry locked and on you at all times. Be sure they are hidden from view when not in use.